Electoral registers held at Hawarden
Electoral Registers dated pre-1974
The Act of 1832 extended the county franchise to include men aged 21 or over possessing copyhold property to the value of £10 per annum, leaseholders of £50, and long leaseholders of £10, in addition to freeholders of 40s.0d. Further extensions to the franchise were made by the Reform Acts of 1867 and 1884. In 1918, women over 30 were granted the right to vote if they met minimum specified property qualifications. It was not until the Equal Franchise Act of 1928, that women and men over the age of 21 could vote equally.
Flintshire County Council records contain electoral registers dated between 1912 and 1974.
The registers provide the name of the voter, his abode, the nature of his property, qualification and the place where the property is situated.
From 1832, Flintshire returned 2 members of parliament, one for the county constituency and a second for the Flint Boroughs constituency. Flint Boroughs was a district which grouped a number of parliamentary boroughs in Flintshire into one single member constituency. The enfranchised communities in this district, from 1832, were Flint, Caergwrle, Caerwys, Holywell, Mold, Overton, Rhuddlan and St Asaph.
Electoral Registers dated post 1974
Since 1974, electoral registers have been compiled by local authorities. The registers are divided into units called ‘Polling Districts’ which are combined to form parliamentary constituencies. Registers are arranged by polling district (these vary over time) which makes them difficult to search by name if the area of residence for a person is unknown.
Post 1974 registers include three registers per year covering Alyn & Deeside, Delyn and Rhuddlan Boroughs of Clwyd County Council.
Post 1996 registers cover the area of ‘New’ Flintshire.
As a consequence of new regulations, two versions of the electoral register have been produced since 2003:
- The full version of the register contains the names of all voters and is used primarily to support the electoral process. Public access to it is strictly controlled and the data can only be used for research purposes.
- The open register, also known as the edited register, is available for sale for commercial use for direct marketing, advertising, etc. It omits the names of electors who have exercised their right to opt out to protect their privacy.
Hawarden branch holds the full version registers only. Public access to registers dated within the last 10 years is strictly controlled and the data can only be used for research purposes.
There is no full series of Electoral Registers for Flintshire before 1912 – these records have not survived. A few early surviving registers can be found in miscellaneous collections, using our online catalogue. Registers were not published during the latter years of the First World War (1916–1917) or the Second World War (1940–1944).
Absent voters lists
Absent voters lists give the names of servicemen who were absent (i.e. in the armed forces) from voting; their home address; description of service; ship/regiment, number, rank, and rating. Hawarden branch holds Absent voters lists for the years 1918-1919; 1929-1939.
Parish electoral roll
Parish records often contain parish electoral rolls. Parish electoral rolls are lists of members of a specific church. This qualifies parishioners to vote and hold office within the Church in Wales.
A few items relating to early Borough elections, including notes on polling in the Flint Boroughs election, 1697; lists of freeholders in Mold, 1701, and burgesses in Caergwrle Borough, 1733 can be found as a minor deposit (D/DM/21); and some 18th century records of the Flint Boroughs election are also held in the Rhual Estate collection (D/HE/763-788).