skip to main content
The following rules must be adhered to so that our unique archival heritage will be preserved:
- On arrival, sign the search-room visitors’ book and leave your Archives Card with a member of staff. Your card will be returned to you when you are ready to leave and have handed back any documents that you have consulted. By signing the visitors’ book you agree to observe the search-room rules.
- Pens are not permitted in the search-room. Always use a pencil when writing notes, in order to protect documents from ink damage.
- Bags are not permitted in the search-room. All bags, including handbags, briefcases and laptop cases, must be placed in a locker.
- You are welcome to bring in electronic devices such as laptops, mobile ‘phones and cameras but hand-held scanners are not permitted.
- Mobile ‘phones must be turned off or to silent mode before entering the search-room. If you need to take a call please leave the search-room.
- Eating (including sweets) and drinking are not permitted in the search-room. A designated refreshment area is available in the building. Smoking is illegal anywhere in the building.
- Please keep conversations to a minimum and try to be as quiet as possible to avoid disturbing other users.
- Documents must be ordered using a separate request slip for each.
- We are unable to produce documents over lunchtime. Last requests for documents must be submitted in the morning by 11.45am and in the afternoon by 4pm. Documents must be handed in by 4.25pm.
- Take care when handling archive material. See our Handling Guidelines for more information. Please ask a member of staff for assistance if you are unsure.
- If you wish to take photographs you must purchase a permit and ask a member of staff to check for restrictions. Please ask at the desk for information.